TRANSFORMING MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
In the months ahead, the number of young people in the UK needing urgent mental health support will grow to crisis point. In response, a group of leading NHS organisations have come together to create Best For You, a transformative patient-centred model of care in child and adolescent mental health.
Based initially in North West London, Best For You will address variation and capacity constraints to provide rapid, personalised, compassionate and long-term support focussed on the needs of individual young people and their families.
Best For You will uniquely integrate physical, mental health, in-patient, day and community care in a cohesive, comprehensive and innovative way using next-generation therapeutic interventions and digital tools to provide the best care for patients in a setting that best meets their needs.
Patients will be quickly and seamlessly assessed, transferred and treated as appropriate, and then supported long-term with links to relevant community organisations to reinforce accelerated recovery and rehabilitation.
Best For You is also taking an innovative approach in its development, incorporating the best elements from the world’s leading mental health services and, critically, co-creating and testing the model in collaboration with service users – young patients, their families and clinicians.
We are working with multiple stakeholders to ensure all touch-points for young people in mental health crisis – including online, schools, GPs, A&E, peers, parents – are equipped to help children and adolescents access the Best For You service to receive the specialist care they need for as long as required.
The Best For You first-of-a-kind model of care will include:
- Young People’s Rapid Assessment Unit staffed by a multidisciplinary team in a new dedicated 20-bed unit
- Day Service providing outpatient clinical care, therapies and family support
- Digital Programme including the best digital aids & apps, and ‘digital prescribers’ to support young people
- Community Partnership Programme delivering activities that bridge the gap between the clinical and community settings
- Working with Imperial College and North West London NIHR Applied Research Collaboration to design a framework to gauge the programme’s effectiveness, and create a template model for distribution across the NHS
Best For You will transform mental health services for young people and their families:
- Seamless, tailored, holistic support for young people across the health and care system
- Earlier therapeutic intervention providing mental health and physical health at the same time
- Care for the whole family in one place
- Rapid, cohesive and comprehensive care delivered in innovative ways using next-generation therapeutic interventions, more robust community arrangements and increased use of digital aids
- A new model of care that can be adopted across the NHS network