TRANSFORMING MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
The number of young people in the UK needing urgent mental health support has reached crisis point.
In response to this, we have launched Best For You, a new model of mental health care and support for young people and their families. Best For You is a partnership between CW+, Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and West London NHS Trust. Together, we are also working with a range of local community, digital and voluntary sector organisations to provide the best possible clinical and holistic care for young people and their families.
Best For You is designed to provide immediate help for those in crisis as well as ongoing, personalised care for as long as needed. The unique model of care combines the rapid assessment, transfer and treatment of young people requiring inpatient care with day, digital and community services that provide consistent and comprehensive care.
Watch this short animation to find out more:
This new approach has been designed by clinical and academic experts in partnership with young people and families. It is supported by the NHS National Director of Mental Health and, if proven to be effective in our North West London catchment area, has been earmarked for adoption and dissemination across the UK to help address the growing and urgent national crisis in young people’s mental health.
Best For You aims to transform mental health services for young people and their families delivering:
- Seamless, tailored, holistic support for young people across the health and care system
- Earlier therapeutic intervention providing mental health and physical health at the same time
- Care for the whole family in one place
- Rapid, cohesive and comprehensive care delivered in innovative ways using next-generation therapeutic interventions, robust community arrangements and increased use of digital aids
- A new model of care that can be adopted across the NHS network
The Best For You first-of-its-kind model of care will include:
- A state-of-the-art Young People’s Centre, including the UK’s first 72-hour Rapid Assessment Unit for young people in mental health crisis. Staffed by a multidisciplinary team will integrate, for the first time, medical care with mental health care to quickly and seamlessly assess, transfer and treat young people requiring help.
- A brand-new Day Service Unit to provide a space for young people and their families to get immediate mental health support without needing an appointment including outpatient clinical care, therapies and family support. The Day Service Unit will connect with the inpatient service and community services to ensure patient experience is not fragmented but instead joined-up and available long-term to support recovery and ongoing wellbeing.
- Community partnerships will bridge the gap between the clinical and community setting. Innovative partnerships with the private sector, schools, community groups, crisis services and digital services will ensure comprehensive and personalised care is optimised and, critically, available for as long as required.
- Digital interventions including the best digital aids and apps, and ‘digital prescribers’ to support young people with supporting crisis information and peer support to connect with, and inspire young people to not feel afraid about seeking support with advice on how to find the help they need
- A comprehensive evaluation and template model delivered and designed by experts at Imperial College and the North West London NIHR Applied Research Collaboration
How You Can Help
CW+ is engaging a network of partners and supporters to raise £8,000,000 to deliver each element of the Best For You Programme. Thanks to an incredible initial response from our community, we have already secured over £3.5 million since our launch in November 2021 and are now aiming to raise the remaining funds we need by March 2023.
We have also launched our Best For You Volunteering programme and are actively seeking to recruit young peer volunteers, volunteers with lived experience of declining mental health and digital volunteers to support and encourage use of our digital portal and app library.
To find out more about these or any further aspects of the Best For You programme, please contact Chris Chaney, CEO, CW+, firstname.lastname@example.org